How to Apply
Xiangtan University (XTU) is a comprehensive and national key university in China, which was founded by Mao Zedong in 1958. Since its establishment, XTU has been improving its comprehensive school-running strength and core competitiveness. As one of the universities that had entered the ranking lists of well-respected international universities by the Times Higher Education (THE) magazine and USNEWS, it ranked 43rd among all mainland Chinese universities in 2020 by THE magazine. At present, the university comprises 23 schools and teaching departments with over 30,000 students and faculties in literature, history, philosophy, science, engineering, economics, management, law and art. Chemistry, Materials Science, Engineering and Mathematics have ranked the world’s top 1% disciplines by ESI and seven disciplines are included in the 2019 Shanghai Ranking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects. XTU has gained an increasing influence internationally and domestically. It has established two Confucius Institutes with Leon University and Makerere University respectively and launched 30-plus international cooperation training projects with 60 universities and research institutions in over 20 countries and regions such as USA, the UK and Japan. The university has also joined the China-Africa Universities 20+20 Cooperation Plan developed by the Ministry of Education of PRC.
1. Non-Chinese citizens, aged 18 (by September 1, 2022) or over, physically and mentally healthy, able to perform well in an academic program.
*Chinese citizens who apply to enter colleges and universities as foreign students after immigrating to foreign countries must hold a valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for more than 4 years (inclusive) and a record of actual residence abroad for more than 2 years (9 months of actual residence abroad in a year can be regarded as one year, based on the entry and exit stamps) within the last 4 years (by April 30, 2022)
2. Adhere to Chinese laws and university regulations. Respect Chinese culture.
3. Applicants must be:
● High school graduates and below the age of 30 when applying for undergraduate programs.
●Bachelor’s degree holders and below the age of 35 when applying for master’s degree programs.
●Master’s degree holders and below the age of 40 when applying for doctoral degree programs.
● High school graduates and below the age of 45 when applying for non-degree programs.
4. Language requirements:
HSK level 4 or above for Chinese-medium programs; IELTS 6.0 or above or TOEFL 80 or above for English-medium programs.
*The above language proficiency certificate can be waived in either of the following conditions: Chinese/English as a native or official language; with corresponding Chinese/English instruction in the academic education phase.
II. Application Categories and Majors
One academic year includes a fall semester and a spring semester.
1. Non-degree programs (Language students)
Duration of this program is one semester (fall semester/spring semester) or one academic year.
2. Degree programs
●Undergraduate programs (4 years)
For information about undergraduate programs, please refer to attachments.
●Graduate programs (3-4 years)
For information about master’s degree programs and doctoral degree programs, please refer to the attachments.
All degree programs start in the fall semester.
1. Chinese Government Scholarship
Provided for excellent international applicants by the Chinese government, this scholarship covers tuition fees, accommodations, insurance, and living stipends. Xiangtan University is an appointed university by the Ministry of Education to host Chinese Government Scholarship students. Applicants can apply to Chinese Embassy in their home country or directly to Xiangtan University for it from January to April every year. This scholarship is only for master’s degree and doctoral degree applicants.
Details are available at: https://www.campuschina.org/content/details3_74776.html
2. International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship
Provided by Center for Language Education and Cooperation in China, International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship covers tuition fees, accommodations, insurance, and living stipends for language students of one academic year or one semester. Applicants can apply for it on the website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
3. Hunan Provincial Scholarship for Chinese Language Learning Students from the Countries along the Belt and Road
Provided by the Hunan Provincial Education Department, this scholarship is set up for students of one academic year Chinese study (non-degree) from countries along the Belt and Road, covering tuition fees, accommodations, insurance, and living stipends. Applicants that are not currently enrolled in schools in Hunan can apply to Xiangtan University directly for this scholarship from March to May every year.
IV. Application Process
1. Apply online. Log into the International Students Service Platform of Xiangtan University (https://xtu.at0086.cn/StuApplication/Login.aspx) to register online and submit the application.
2. Chinese Government Scholarship applicants must first log into the “China Scholarship Council Online Application System for Studying in China” (http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login) to fill in and submit your information through the agency number “10530” of Xiangtan University. Then download the “Chinese Government Scholarship Application Form”); International Chinese Teachers Scholarship applicants must first log into the International Chinese Teacher Scholarship Application Website (http://cis.chinese.cn) and then submit the application.
3. Application Deadline:
●Deadline for non-degree program applicants (Language students): May 15, 2022
●Deadline for degree program applicants: April 30, 2022
*The formal Admission Notice, Visa Application Form for study in China (JW202/201) will be sent to the admitted applicants. The admitted applicants shall apply to local Chinese embassy or consulate for a student visa (X visa) with passport, admission letter, Visa application form (JW202/201), physical examination record form, blood test record, etc. The admitted applicants must check in for registration at the International Students Affairs Office (Office Room: 107) in Xiangtan University with the mentioned documents by the date indicated on the Admission Notice.
V. Application Paperwork:
1. A copy of the passport information page
2. Notarized highest diploma and official transcripts
(The prospective diploma recipients shall submit official documents issued by your current school to prove your current student status and expected graduation date.)
3. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Photocopy)
*The physical examination must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms (e.g., without signatures by attending physicians or official stamps from the hospital, without a sealed photograph of the applicant, without a seal on the perforation, etc.) are considered as invalid. Examination forms must be in either Chinese or English. Please be careful about your examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months).
4. Certification of no criminal record
*Either in Chinese or English; applicants must submit a valid certificate of no criminal record issued by the local public security authorities (the certificate of no criminal record is usually valid for 6 months from the date of issuance)
5. Specific study or research plan in China
*For degree program applicants only, no less than 200 words for undergraduate students and no less than 800 words for graduate students, written in Chinese or English
6. Two recommendation letters from professors or associate professors (Required for graduate program applicants)
*Either in Chinese or English, including referees’ contact information
7. Scanned copy of HSK scores (for Chinese-taught program applicants); scanned copy of TOEFL or IELTS scores (for English-taught program applicants) or proof of language proficiency exemption
8. Chinese Government Scholarship Application Form for Chinese government scholarship applicants; the Certificate of Scholarship for International Chinese Language Teachers for international Chinese teachers scholarship applicants
9．Financial support statement (Required for self-funded applicants)
*Certificate of bank deposit that is able to cover the costs for living and studying in China for at least one year.
10. Published papers and other academic supporting materials.
1. Application materials which are not in Chinese or English must be submitted with additional notarized Chinese or English translation copies. It is recommended to notarize your documents and their translated copies at the embassy (consulate) of the People's Republic of China in your own country. Documents with more than two pages must be stamped on its each page or be stamped with a seal on the perforation
2. Applicants shall be responsible for the authenticity and completeness of their submitted materials. Any false or missing application documents will not be accepted.
VI. Study Cost
Chinese language student: 14000 Yuan/year;
Bachelor: 14000 Yuan/year;
Master: 18000 Yuan/year;
Doctor: 23000 Yuan/year
●Insurance: 400 Yuan/semester; 800 Yuan/year
Double room (on campus): 600 Yuan/month;
Single room (on campus): 900 Yuan/month
Costs for gas, water, and electricity supply shall be borne on your own.
The International Students Affairs Office of the International Exchange College at Xiangtan University (Office Room: 107)
Address: International Exchange Center, Xiangtan University, Yuhu District,
Xiangtan City, Hunan Province
Post Code: 411105