Article 1 In order to enhance the understanding and friendship between Chinese and foreigners, promote Xiangtan University's (XTU) international exchange and cooperation, and strengthen the administration of Foreign Student programs, these provisions are hereby formulated based upon a combination of education internationalization and XTU's educational practices, and compliance with the following laws:
- Education Law of the People's Republic of China;
- Higher Education Law of the People's Republic of China;
- Law of the People's Republic of China on Control of Entry and Exit of Aliens;
- Order No. 9 of the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Public Security on Administrative Provisions of Acceptance of Foreign Students by Universities and Colleges;
- Trial Implementation of “Regulations on Academic Degrees Conferring on International Students of the People's Republic of China” in Certain Regular ---Institutions of Higher Education issued by the State Council Academic Degree Committee; and,
- Related provisions of XTU.
Article 2 As used in these provisions, "Foreign Students" means foreign citizens over 18 holding foreign passports which have been registered with XTU for receiving degree courses or non-degree courses. Foreign Students who study at XTU are required to abide by the laws of China and the rules and regulations of XTU, respect the habits and customs of Chinese people, and pay attention to their health in China and maintain good character.
Article 3 XTU provides foreign students with degree and non-degree education. Degree education foreign students may be classified as bachelor's, master's, or doctoral, degree candidates. Non-degree education foreign students may be classified as visiting students or research scholars.
Requirements for Degree Education Foreign Students:
(1) Bachelor's degree candidates: Students are required to complete the curriculum within 4 to 6 years, fulfill the required number of credits and complete a bachelor's thesis. Successful graduates will receive a graduation certificate along with a bachelor's degree, as per the regulations of the Degree Committee.
(2) Master's degree candidates: Students are required to complete the curriculum within 2-5 years,
fulfill the designated number of credits and complete a master's thesis. Successful graduates will receive a graduation certificate along with the Master's degree, as per the regulations of the Degree Committee.
(3) Doctoral degree candidates: Students are required to complete the curriculum within 3-7 years, fulfill the designated number of credits and complete the doctoral thesis. Successful graduates will receive a graduation certificate with the doctoral degree, as per the regulations of the Degree Committee.
Requirements for Non-degree Education Foreign Students:
(1) Senior Visiting Students: Candidates must have at least a Master's degree. Senior Visiting Students are normally to be supervised by a professor of the accepting college, or department, and conduct research on a specific subject. It is a one-year program, however, upon practical conditions the student may be considered for an extension. Upon graduation, the student will receive a certificate of achievement.
(2) General Visiting Students: Candidates must have completed at least one year of undergraduate study or Chinese study at Xiangtan University. Upon graduation, the student will receive a certificate of achievement.
(3) Research Scholars: Candidates will be given access to the university’s library resources and be allowed to collaborate with professors of the accepting college or department to conduct specific research. Duration of study may vary from a couple of months to one year.
International students are classified as scholarship students and self-funded students based on the fund source.
Chinese Government Scholarship Programs support students to study in China as undergraduates, postgraduates, doctoral candidates, Chinese language students, visiting scholars, and senior visiting scholars. The programs are Great Wall Fellowship Program, Distinguished International Students Scholarship Program, HSK Winner Scholarship Program, Short-term Scholarship Program for Foreign Teachers of Chinese Language, or Chinese Culture Research Fellowship Program.
International scholarship recipients must participate in an Annual Review. The host university will comprehensively review the scholarship students using the standards contained in the Measures for the Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status issued by the Ministry of Education. Those who fail in the Annual Review will have their scholarship suspended or terminated.